Online Media Trends
Compete.com put together a Slideshare presentation discussing the online media trends of 2008. Compete calculates and estimates total U.S.-based traffic for nearly every site on the internet.
Here are some of the key takeaways:
- There were 116 billion search queries in 2008 (up 8% over 2007).
- Google now commands 68% of the search market share.
- Yahoo! had the highest rate of sponsored referrals (pay per click advertising traffic).
- Social Media sites accounted for nearly 1.8 trillion page views in 2008.
- There were over 9 billion hours spent on media sites last year. (This includes social media and publisher media, such as CNN.com).
Did you have a strong enough search engine presence to be found by the 116 billion searches last year? Do you know what people said about your brand in 2008? Consider a search engine marketing campaign and monitor social media conversations so you can be there for your customers.
The numbers are there. Are you?